The mission and vision of the “Internet Society Armenia Chapter” public organization is to promote and support the development of the Internet in the Republic of Armenia for the benefit of the Armenian society. The organization follows the global Internet Society as its Chapter and implements numerous projects through the grants provided by them.
The history of the Internet Society Armenia Chapter started in 2007 when the Armenian Internet Registry (“Internet Society” NGO) applied to become a Chapter of the global Internet Society (ISOC) and was recognized as such. Since then it has become part of the “Internet Society” NGO. Sharing the mission and vision of the global ISOC, the Armenian Chapter has implemented projects boosting the Internet development of the Internet in Armenia.
In 2017, the global Internet Society changed the legal relationship with its Chapters, so there was a need to transform the Armenian Chapter into a separate organization, the “Internet Society Armenia Chapter” Public Organization, which took place in May 2018.
During these years the ISOC Armenia Chapter:
Carried out the following projects financed by the global ISOC:
- Computers and Services for rural libraries
- Internet Availability Center for Blind and Visually Impaired People
- Creating an Internet radio for the Armenian Society of Blinds (The last project was awarded the prize of the World Telecommunication Organization).
Took part in:
- 25th anniversary of Internet Society as a celebration node
- Chapterthon 2017
- Chapterthon 2018
- Organization of the 2015, 2016, 2017 National IGFs
- 2013 INET Armenia Conference
Provided a managerial help to the following projects of the global ISOC:
- Establishing a Content Creation Center in the Fundamental Scientific Library of the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia
- Upgrading of the Armenian Academic (Research) Network to IPv6 Readiness
- Starting Up the Armenian Internet Exchange
- The 1st Armenian International Congress on Telemedicine and eHealth “ARMTELEMED: Road to the Future”
- ArmNet conferences. ArmNetAwards: The best Armenian websites.